The BDC Young Entrepreneur Award contest is open to applicants and businesses that meet all the following requirements as of December 31, 2013:
- Be between 18 and 35 years old
- Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Have been responsible for the company's day-to-day management for a minimum of two years
- Hold at least 20% of the company's capital stock
The business must:
- Be registered in Canada
- Have its head office in Canada
- Have been in operation under the applicant's day-to-day management for at least two years
- Be in good financial health and be reasonably expected to be successful. The business must be solvent (as inferred from its operating revenues, the nature and composition of its assets and liabilities and its ability to sustain its financial viability over the next 12 to 24 months).
Not-for-profit businesses must:
- Carry out viable commercial economic activities in Canada
- Show that government support and private donations do not exceed 40% of their income
Both clients and non-clients of BDC are eligible.
See all the Application Requirements (PDF) for the BDC Young Entrepreneur Award.